Sunday, July 31, 2011

All Things New

Greetings from Peru!!
I have been here for 14 days and feel much more comfortable than I thought I would. I have been challenged more in my understanding of what I "need" to live and have been coping with a whole new way of life. Here are the top 10 things that are different. Different isn't bad and in most cases it is for the better.

1-My ministry and job are one in the same...I get to talk about the Lord with my students! This also means I have one job. Which for me has not been the case in several years. Sunday's right now are very strange. I almost feel out of place or like I am not doing something that I should be doing. Like I'm skipping class or something.

2-I walk to and from work everyday (around 15 minutes). Great weight loss program and way to learn the road system.

3-I walk everywhere ie. store, shopping, dinner, to a friends house, church.

4-My apartment is in one of the busiest parts of this district, Miraflores. So much street noise that I had to wear earplugs to sleep the first few days. Now I use a dehumidifier to muffle the noise. There is a grocery store, bank, and excellent restaurant all on my block.

5- My ability to communicate with family and friends has changed drastically (I teared up several times the first week because I didn't have phone or internet). Because I only talk to people maybe once a week my conversations have become more meaningful.

6- I haven't watched TV since I left on July 18 and don't care at all about having one. Although I did watch a movie on my laptop Sunday afternoon before a nap.

7- I have only cooked twice since I've been here because grocery shopping and cooking is not the same, and I don't have as much time. I think I went through a whole box of matches trying to light the gas stove. Plus, restaurant food is amazing and affordable!

8- I have trouble speaking English because I am trying to get better with my Spanish and am saying goofy things. I really need a tutor.

9-I have been wearing some form of tennis shoe every day. For those that know my history with shoes you will appreciate this. For those that don't know...it isn't something I'm proud of.

10-I miss my family and friends much more than I anticipated.

I really do love it here and have really enjoyed my experiences so far. The weather is very grey most days and people walk around with grey sad faces. I felt strange walking around smiling the first couple of days. The past couple of days the sun has peeked through to remind us it still exists. Today it was out so long I got to see it set and then saw stars later on because the cloud cover had diminished. As we walked through the Malecon, a huge park that travels along the coast, we came upon a large group of people having a pillow fight. Yes, I said a pillow fight. There were about a hundred or so teenagers and young people with their pillows whomping each other in an organized fashion. It was so great. I wished I had my pillow.

Today was the Peruvian Independence Day. As I walked the empty streets seeing families gather it made me miss my family, friends, and anything familiar. I think it is possible to be excited about all the new possibilities and friendships, maintain sweet relationships from the past, and maintain my sanity. Tonight some of the staff got together to celebrate Peru's independence. It was so nice to bond with these new friends and co-workers as we prepare to start the school year.

Wednesday is our first day of school. Please pray for the ICSL staff, students, and families...especially with all the newness. The start of the school year is always crazy but this year in particular. I know the Lord has a perfect plan and I long to step aside and see his plan and not mine.

There have been so many new things and adjustments I can't even put them all into words. We began our teacher in-service training this week. Since the first day I sat foot in the building the Lord has been speaking to me and my creative juices have been flowing like never before. I've been having the kind of moments when you feel acutely aware that the Lord is planting a thought or a vision, so real that it gives you cold chills. I just keep praying that the Lord will guide me and use me. I know the Lord has me here and has a purpose for my life taking this dramatic turn. I am so thrilled about what He is doing!

Matthew 5:13-16 Striving to be salt and light!

1 comment:

  1. You rock Marissa!! Praying for you! 2 Cor 2:14

    ReplyDelete